There are currently three sources of funding to which English doctoral students can apply for help with conference expenses (travel and accommodation):
1. The department will reimburse up to $500 (not renewable) to each student enrolled in the English Ph.D. program for conference travel expenses. The funding can either be disbursed in one lump sum or in several smaller sums. In addition, depending on the location of the convention and the number of students expected to attend, support of $400-600 (renewable) is available for each student who has an interview at MLA. Requests may be submitted to the department registrar via email.
2. We also have a new fund that has been set up in memory of a former colleague, Linda H. Peterson, by her colleagues, former students, friends, and family. Currently the maximum amount in the Peterson Fund for which students can apply is $500.
Applications for the Peterson Funds should include:
- a cover letter describing the conference or research to be supported
- an explanation of how this travel will advance a student’s professional development
- a budget for it that indicates, whenever possible, other funding sources
- a CV
- a note from a faculty member endorsing the application (for instance, from a student’s assigned mentor, a graduate seminar instructor, or a dissertation committee member)
The application and the faculty endorsement should be addressed by email to the current Director of Graduate Studies and copied to Erica Sayers as Graduate Registrar.
3. Separately, there are graduate school conference funds available.